There are 2 things that I especially adore. Summer and beauty. Well, one great thing about both of them, is that they go hand in hand. No matter what size or shape you are, you can be Summer beautiful! Here are my top 15 Summer beauty tips, in no particular order…
1. Wear color- Color is something that I am not afraid of, but recently I looked in my closet and realized that I am really lacking in color. Luckily, I was given a few pairs of colored skinny jeans for my birthday. That makes me feel colorful again. Just because you aren’t daring enough to wear colored skinny jeans, doesn’t mean that you should shy away from color. You don’t have to follow specific color rules either. Pick out what feels good to you. You will be noticed more, but who says that is a bad thing?
2. Waterproof mascara- This isn’t just for your trips to the pool or going to a Nicolas Sparks movie. Waterproof mascara is great for the Summer because you never know what your plans may turn out to be. Maybe your kids decide to have a spontaneous water fight. Do you really want the fear of having mascara drip down your cheeks stop you from the memories you could make with your kiddos? Or maybe it is more like in my latest case of my husband rolling down the window, just as a sprinkler hit my side of the car. Accident? I think not. It could have “ruined” my day, but waterproof mascara allowed me to laugh.
3. Get outside- I can’t stress this enough. I have made it a point to go walking with my little family (husband, baby, pup) a few times a week. Not only is this a great form of exercise, but it is now a treasured memory. There aren’t many months out of the year that you can play outside. Take advantage of that. One great bonus could be getting your booty a little tighter for the swimming suit!
4. Wear light accessories- I am an accessory girl. I think jewelry or a headband can add so much to an outfit. During the Summer, it is all about being cool and comfortable. Don’t over accessorize! Nothing is worse than wearing a thick, heavy necklace on a hot day. Maybe choose 1 or 2 great accessories that could really add to your outfit, and rock it. Don’t be afraid to mix different styles either. Case in point: My headband that was originally made for a Thanksgiving dress up day (I dressed as an Indian) and my necklace that was worn by my bridesmaids. Do those accessories have anything in common? No, but they work.
5. Wax- I know, I know. That is a banned word for a lot of people, but whether it be eyebrows, armpits, or legs, the pain is totally worth the gain. Does anybody else hate shaving and tweezing as much as I do? Get the pain over in a few quick rips and you are good for weeks! You will not regret it.
6. Deep Condition- Some people only think of hair, others have no idea what a deep condition is. Deep conditioning not only your hair, but your skin during the Summer is crucial! All of that swimming and sunshine feels great, but it dries out your skin and hair big time. You don’t need to do anything ultra fancy to deep condition. For your hair, use your favorite conditioner and put it in after you get out of the shower and your hair is damp. Clip your hair up and let it sit in the conditioner for as long as you have time for. It could be 5 minutes or an hour. Doing this weekly or monthly can drastically help your hair. As for skin, use an intensive moisture lotion day and night. Preferably right after the shower and right before bed. If you can handle it, sleep with socks on right after putting the lotion on.
7. Sun Dresses- Wear them! They are the easiest Summer style to wear. They add a little glam to your wardrobe, but are most likely going to be the most comfortable item in your closet. They make GREAT swimming suit cover ups too. I always feel cuter wearing a sun dress over my bathing suit, rather than board shorts.
8. Sunscreen- Duh. That should be the most important beauty item of the Summer. Is it usually? Nope. I rarely wear it, but I will be wearing it now! Spending 8 hours in the blazing sun did nasty things to my skin. Case in point: My nose. Makeup over a sunburn isn’t chic.
9. Dewy lips- What does this mean? It means, make your lips look a little wet. Don’t do this by licking your lips constantly, just buy a good lip gloss that does it for you. Wet looking lips are sexy lips.
10. Air dry your hair- Your hair will thank you a thousand times if you let it air dry once and a while. Now when I saw air dry, that does not mean it has to be 100% natural. Who’s hair looks good 100% natural? If yours does, I want to slap you. As for the rest of you, use product! This may take a little practice, but letting your hair air dry can look great, save you time, and protect your hair from split ends.
11. Lighter eyes- Take off all of that makeup you have been caking on all winter. Embrace your natural beauty. Wear lighter colors of eye shadow and less eyeliner. You will be an instant natural beauty.
12. Show your toes- There are few times a year that you can wear open toed shoes. Having painted toenails makes you feel cute. I promise you will feel 10x better if they are painted. If you want to try something new, go to a salon and get shellac polish. That stuff rocks. It stays on my toes for 4-6 weeks even when I swim!
13. Try wearing a hat- Baseball, floppy, or newsboy. It doesn’t matter. Hats are hot. I love wearing fedoras. They make me feel like I tried, without really trying at all. Be brave enough to wear a hat. They are Summer staples for me.
14. Wear colorful, comfortable shoes- Going along with the colorful clothing. Why not wear colorful shoes too? If your shoes have many colors, it may be easier to “match” but who says they have to? Fun colored shoes make a statement. Remember, summer isn’t enjoyable if your shoes are comfortable.
15. Cardigans- You may be thinking, cardigans? Now? Isn’t a cardigan a sweater? Yes. BUT just because it is summer, doesn’t mean that it will be warm all of the time. Be prepared with a cute summer cardigan for the chilly bonfires or late night baseball games.
I love this! I hope you'll stop by and add this and any other posts you're proud of to my Wednesday What We Wore, Read, and Made Link party
Tuesday 3rd of July 2012
GREAT TIPS!!!! I keep wearing the same style of tank top and now I have these awful tan lines... You should see it when I wear a bathing suit.. yuck.. I hate tan lines!
Thanks so much for sharing this at The DIY Dreamer.. From Dream To Reality! Don't forget to swing by this evening.. I can't wait to see what you link up! :)
Thursday 28th of June 2012
I won't lie... I am a little jealous you can wear cardigans in the summer time. If I wore one in GA I would immediately start sweating. Then I would need the water proof mascara so my sweat wouldn't ruin it!:)
Dustin and Erika
Tuesday 26th of June 2012
First of all, I laughed really hard when I read your story about rolling the widow down right when a sprinkler was hitting your car. Classic.Second, you don't have to slap me, cause my hair looks like I got electrictued when I let it air dry. You need to help me know what products to put in! I've tried that P.M. curling serum stuff, to no avail.