So I gave you a little peek at how I spent my evening on Thursday. Instead of sleeping from 9pm-3am, I chose to paint stripes in my breakfast nook/dining area. I am in love with the results. While painting these stripes, I learned a few things.
1. Be picky about your stripes. Go though and measure out exactly where they need to be and be sure to trace out all of your lines with a straight edge before putting the tape on. This is SO worth the time it takes.
2. Consider the size and angles of your room. This can play a big role on what kind of stripes you should choose and how many of them you should have so that it isn’t overwhelming.
3. Use good tape! I cannot stress this enough. Nothing is more frustrating than bleeders!
4. Have leftover paint for both colors of your wall. Even if you have great tape, chances are you will need to do a few touch ups, especially if you are painting on highly textured walls like I was.
5. Have a wet cloth handy. Sometimes you get a little roller happy and go beyond the tape. Having a wet cloth handy takes away some of the “oh crap” moments when you are able to quickly wipe off the paint.
6. Choose colors that work with your home, but make a statement. My room was already painted Utterly Beige from Sherwin Williams. It works with the rest of my house. I am obsessed with Crushed Ice from Sherwin Williams and added that for my stripe color. Both of these colors have gray tones in them which really compliment each other.
7. Don’t drench your roller. Having a whole ton of paint on your roller only adds to the chances of getting bleed marks.
8. Let paint mostly dry, but don’t let it get bone dry before taking the tape off. This makes it a lot easier to go back with a wet cloth and wipe off any bleeding marks.
9. Use one solid piece of tape for a stripe on each wall. This helps keep the stripes as straight as they can be.
10. Have some good music to listen to. This may be a little unrelated, but my tunes were what kept me going at about 1:30 am when I knew that I still had a decent amount of work left to do, but my body was starting to wear out.
Good luck! Don’t be afraid to step out of your comfort zone and throw some stripes on your wall.
This looks so great! We'd love for you to link up at our party! http://housewivesofriverton.blogspot.com/2012/09/riverton-housewives-round-up-31.html
Alexis @ persia lou
Thursday 30th of August 2012
I've been wanting to do this in my hallway. Thanks for the tips! It looks good!
Katie @ Pincushion Creations
Wednesday 29th of August 2012
This is super fun!! I am sooo itching to have a striped room somewhere in my house...maybe the new babys room! Thanks for the great tips! Would love to have you share this at my party! Newest GFC and Facebook follower! http://www.pincushioncreations.com/2012/08/homemade-by-you-27.html
Tuesday 28th of August 2012
Guess what I just did this last weekend? Painted big fat stripes in my hallway! I am so in love!!!! I just became your newest follower, and would love for you, my fellow stripe painter, to come over and check out my brand new blog. (hallway reveal not yet posted!) This looks awesome, great job!Stacia @ http://feathersandsunshine.blogspot.com