This post is brought to you by Fish Foam.
This post contains affiliate links.
We put our house up for sale 2 1/2 weeks ago and boy have we learned a lot! Luckily, before listing it, I knew that there were a few things that we needed to do before we could do anything else. Once that list was all checked off, we listed our house and it has been non stop ever sense! We have had 9 showings and are hoping to find “the one” very soon! Here are a few things that I have learned that need to be done before listing your house. Ten things to do before selling your house…
1. Get rid of any extra furniture- This means that any furniture that doesn’t serve a real, functional purpose needs to go. It can be sold, or just in storage, but it needs to get out of the house. You want as much of your space shown as you can.
2. Hide the toys- Before taking any listing photos or showing your house, hide the toys! Unless there is a designated area used as a playroom, toys need to be hidden. Buyers want the spaces they are looking at to feel fresh, clean, and grown up.
3. Open doors- Be sure to open all of your interior doors before taking photos and showing your house. In photos, it helps the photos flow together so that the potential buyers can understand the layout of the home more easily. When showing, you don’t want any big surprises. The potential buyers need to be able to easily walk from one room to the next.
4. Turn on lights- When showing your home, turn on all of the lights before you leave. This is especially the case if your house has light switches in strange places. The last thing you want the potential buyers to do, is search for your light switches. By having the lights on, it makes the home feel brighter and more cozy.
5. Good smells- The smell of your home will be one of the very first things that the potential buyers register in their brains when looking at your home. Be sure it is a good smell! I like to leave all of my Scentsy warmers on. I put the scent Welcome Home in them.
6. Take good photos- Chances are, the first impression of your house will be by the photos that potential buyers will see on your listing. Make sure they are good! There are so many times I see pictures that have awkward angles that make the rooms look much smaller than they are. There are also several listing photos out there with clutter all over the place! Potential buyers want to look at photos of a clean house. Pay attention to detail when taking photos.
7. Fix up the curb appeal- This doesn’t mean that your front yard needs an entire makeover, but make sure that it looks warm and inviting. Plant some flowers, fix your fence, and mow your lawn. It is the little things that really make a difference.
8. Clear off counter tops- Nobody wants to look at clutter. Put your bread and bananas in the cupboard before your house is shown. You want potential buyers to feel like there is plenty of counter space. While you are at it, take down the cutter off of your fridge to make your kitchen feel fresh and clean.
9. Clean doors– You don’t realize just how dirty your doors are until you start scrubbing them down! Clean the doorknobs to make sure they aren’t sticky and make sure there aren’t dirty fingerprints all over the door. It is a small detail that most people won’t notice unless they are dirty most likely. You don’t want potential buyers to notice dirty doors.
10. Clean your windows- There is so much dirt, dust, and who knows what else that gets stuck to windows. Clean them inside and out. It is amazing to see how much more light comes through when the windows are clean. It makes the entire room feel cleaner too. I was given Fish Foam at Snap conference and I love using it on my windows! The best part about it is that it doesn’t drip like many other glass cleaners do. Because it is a foam, the Fish foam just sits on the window until you wipe it off. No more races to get your windows clean before the product drips all over the place!
Now go get to work at get that house of yours sold! Let’s all pray that mine sells quickly! What are your house selling tips?
For even more ideas to get your life clean and organized, check out these awesome posts too! Click on the photos to take you to the posts…